The Best {Whole Wheat} Waffles Ever!



Hello to everyone visiting from Pinterest!  I'm so happy that you've found my little corner of the Internet :) There's quite a bit here to explore, so please have a look around! Also, I'd love it if you would join us over on Facebook:



I've been tinkering with this recipe for months and months now, and I think I've finally got it down just darn near perfect (at least for our palates)! The greek yogurt and the eggs add a nice amount of protein (10 grams per waffle!), and the flax/chia add fiber (7 grams per waffle!) and omegas.

Our Sunday morning tradition has been to make a batch of these and then freeze the extras for toaster waffles through the week. Because we usually end up eating these in the car after hustling out the door (have I mentioned that neither Little Bear nor I are morning people??), I put the syrup in the batter and the coconut oil keeps them so moist that you don't need butter.

I finally broke down and traded my ancient waffle maker in for a fancy Waring Pro from Costco, so my recipe has been perfected on an Belgian waffler maker. You may need to adjust the consistency (more milk, probably) if your waffles are not quite right on your machine.

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups greek yogurt
  • 1 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup (the real thing, not flavored HFCS!)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk (doesn't have to be dairy, I use coconut or rice milk)
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour (I like WW pastry flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum & GMO free!)
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum & GMO free!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 cup chia seeds or roughly milled flax seed

Directions

1.  In a large bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, oil, syrup, milk, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.

2.  Add the remaining ingredients. Mix until just blended, but do not overmix.

3.  Scoop the mixture into a preheated, oiled waffle maker. I spray my waffle maker with unrefined olive oil with my Misto. The extra oil gives it a nice crisp outside while keeping the inside soft and moist. I put between 3/4 cup and 1 cup batter per waffle, but this will vary between waffle makers.

4.  Serve hot! Butter and dipping syrup are optional :)  I always let my extras cool and then cut them into toaster-sized pieces (quarters) and freeze. They are actually tastier out of the toaster than fresh!



For some added fun, try mixing in a handful of De Ruijter sprinkles - they melt better than the American waxed-fake-chocolate-flavored things, and they don't make the same huge mess that chocolate chips do. YUM-OLA! {If you haven't tried De Ruijter sprinkles, they are a MUST! You will never eat the fake mass-produced crap again.}





2 comments:

  1. That's brilliant! I really gotta go get a waffle maker...if my kids rebel and want to put the syrup on themselves, can I leave the syrup out of the recipe without changing the consistency?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina - you should be able to leave the syrup out (or reduce it). I can't see that the syrup changes the texture that much. If you get a batter made and it seems too thick, you can always stir in a little extra milk!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...