Mayo-free Tuna Salad (with avocado)



Hello to everyone visiting from Pinterest!  I'm so happy that you've found my little corner of the Internet :) There's quite a bit here to explore, so please have a look around! Also, I'd love it if you would join us over on Facebook:



Everyone in my house loves tuna. Tuna is cheap and easy. But, mayo is gross. Actually, I love the taste of "real" mayonnaise, but there is nothing real about the (yummy) gloopy white stuff that comes in the convenient little jars at the grocery store. I think doing away with store-bought mayo may have been one of the hardest real food conversions for me. Homemade mayo is delicious, but the eggs make me worry about sending it in Little Bear's lunch. My solution has been to make tuna salad with olive oil and a bit of vinegar (plus the typical tuna salad accoutrements). It's ok. But, not great. 

How to make it great... Let's try avocado! {spoiler alert, it was amazing!}

Scoop one avocado into a bowl.


Add a few tablespoons of unrefined olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon or lime, and whatever spices and mix-ins you like in your tuna (today I just did salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill).


Smoosh it all together, making the mixture as smooth as possible.


Add tuna and mix with the avocado mixture while flaking the tuna.


Eat.

Yum!

I measured, but tuna is so dependent on the brand, draining, and type that you'll probably have to play with the proportions to make it just perfect. As a starting point, 1 avocado + 2 tablespoons oil should be good for 2-ish cans of tuna or 4 of the single-serve packets.




4 comments:

  1. Probably great with chicken salad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you drain the tuna or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you make this in the morning and send for lunch does the avocado turn brown before lunch? I know they turn brown pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the lemon mixed in, it shouldn't brown that quickly.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...