Pricey Pouches? Not for This Mama!

I'm not sure if it's is a universal baby/toddler obsession, but Parker is absolutely nuts over baby food pouches.  Although he doesn't eat other baby foods anymore, these pouches are a great way to make sure he's getting enough fruits and veggies, plus they make a super convenient snack.  However, at a buck each on super sale, feeding his addiction is very expensive!
So, I set out to find DIY pouches.  I googled and googled and googled but could not find reusable pouches that fit the bill (Any patent attorneys want to help me out here?  I think I'm sitting on a golden idea...).  Determined not to give in, I decided to try just refilling the disposable pouches - SUCCESS!  Here's how it's done:

Milled ChiaSince the Happy Tot spinach, mango & pear pouches are our favorite (Parker loves the flavor and I love 3g protein + 15% DV Iron), I stuck with this for my first recipe.  I used about 2 pounds of organic pears (skin on, seeds out), 1/2 pound of organic baby spinach (slightly steamed to help avoid oxidation and spoilage), 1 bag of frozen organic mango chunks (thawed), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1/3 cup milled chia seeds.  I included chia seeds because (a) I love chia and (b) the Salba that is in the Happy Tot pouches is actually a pricier variety of chia.  To mill whole seeds just put them in your coffee grinder or other small chopper, and run until they resemble the texture of graham cracker crumbs.
Step 1:  Save the empty pouches and lids from whatever brand your little one eats.  As you use them, rinse well and store in a bag in the fridge.  When you've collected several, soak the dirty, empty pouches and lids in a bowl of hot soapy water.  Use a  plastic condiment bottles (also available at any grocery/superstore) to squeeze hot soapy water into each pouch.  Shake the soapy water around on the inside of the pouch to remove any residual baby food bits.  Rinse with clean water until soap bubbles stop running out of the pouches.
Step 2:  Combine all the ingredients in a blender, and turn the blender on medium-high.  Slowly add organic apple juice to get the stuff mixing.  Add more apple juice if the texture seems too thick.
Step 3:  Pour the baby food into the plastic condiment bottles.  Snip the tip of the bottle if the baby food doesn't squeeze out easily.  Any baby food that doesn't fit in the bottles, can be stored in zipper baggies in the freezer.
Step 4:  Put the tip of the condiment bottle into the clean, empty pouches and squeeze.  Replace the lid and store in the fridge.  Makes about 56 ounces of food (14 x 4 oz pouches).
Pouch Fill

Cost breakdown (will vary by season, store, and location):  Spinach - $2; Pears - $3; Mango - $2.50; Chia - $1 = $8.50 = $.60  per 4 ounce pouch
Not only are you saving tons of money by making these yourself, but you know that the food your little one is eating is as natural and pure as possible!  As an aside, I couldn't believe the color difference between my homemade pouches and the store-bought ones.  They must cook the heck out of the manufactured ones, because the color of mine was a hundred times brighter!

4 comments:

  1. Genius! I am "pinning" this one so I remember to do it! Keep up the great blogs; I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] found time this morning to mix-up a few new batches of pouched baby food.  As a follow-up to the original post, I want to quickly share the new recipes!  This post is less detailed, so if you’re missing [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled on your blog from....Pinterest, maybe? This is genius! Han Solo (not his real name), age 2, just finished one of these pouches. The spinach, mango, pear pouches are his favorite too! I have to admit they taste pretty good. They are rather pricey though. We are moving in a little less that 2 weeks from Germany (James Bond-also not his real name is military), and once we get our household goods (Oct or Nov), I'm completely going to do this! You are a smart woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too stumbled upon your blog from Pinterest. I also stumbled upon another blogger and followed links to find that someone is making disposable pouches now that can be found at Toys R Us (maybe you?). Here's the link...
    http://www.infantino.com/fresh-squeezed/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...