Minus the Microwave, Please!



I had a couple of questions about why the casa de Olson decided to go sans microwave after I posted an instagram picture of my new coffee heating solution.


There isn't a simple answer, so rather than tapping out a response from my phone, I'll explain here.

I can't say that I've done extensive microwave research, but a quick "microwave safety" google search leaves little settled.  There are adamant folks on both sides.  I have no solid opinion about the actual safety of the microwave, but I tend to lean on the safer side of things when it comes to my food.  I pretty much just figured, why risk it? 

Also, when you really start to rely on real, homemade food, the microwave becomes less and less useful.  I ended up deciding that I can easily throw leftovers in the oven or in a skillet for a pretty quick reheat just as easily as I could put them in the micro and nuke 'em.  Without a microwave, I couldn't take the easy way out and compromise on nutrition anymore.  I had to think of a real, healthy meal for my fam rather than concede to a frozen/processed alternative.  Even if the microwave itself doesn't create health risks, it does superheat food and cause the nutrients to break down.

Really, it all boiled down to the fact that my kitchen isn't as big as I'd like, and with the very little mileage I was getting out of the microwave, I much preferred the extra counter space.  As I said on my instagram photo, the only thing that I really missed my microwave for was reheating my coffee/tea (as most moms know, as you introduce kids into your life, the second half of your coffee gets colder and colder...).  Simple problems beget simple solutions, though, - cue the coffee maker!

1 comment:

  1. I applaud you! While I haven't totally given up my microwave, I barely use it. I, too, would rather err in favor of being too careful. My grand-daughter are doing a science fair project on microwaves. If it turns out as I expect, it will be out of here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...