Lentil & Wheat Berry Chili



Vegetarian dishes are not usually my thing.  I love meat!  But, after I was away from home and eating junk for a week, I felt like crap and needed to restart my system.  We did a whole week at my house without meat!  It was really hard for me to come up with a new meatless dish every night, especially because I do NOT like tofu (nor do I think that eating large amounts of soy is particularly healthy).  One of our meals was a meatless chili.  I was super surprised, but it was DELICIOUS!
If you're hesitant about using wheat berries or need a gluten-free recipe, just sub extra lentils for the
wheat berries.


Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (unrefined is best!)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
  • 3/4 cup dried lentils (any variety)
  • 3/4 cup wheat berries
  • 5 cups of liquid (any combination of stock or water will work)
  • 3/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust accordingly if you used salty stock)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • chili powder to taste
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (fire roasted are extra yummy!)

Directions

1.  Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic.  Saute until tender and slightly brown.  If you're in a rush, only use half an onion and skip the sautéing.

2.  Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.

3.  Cook on high for 7-8 hours, or until lentils and wheat berries are tender.

4.  Serve with sour cream, brown rice, crackers, cheese, or your favorite chili toppings.

{Husband said that this was even better as leftovers the next day! - but there weren't any leftovers left over for me to confirm this}

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! We just finished off a large batch of lentil stew (which I LOVE) for dinner. I have some dried lentils left over, only missing the wheat berries. Will definitely try to pick those up and try this one. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought wheat berries in the midst of a bulk-section frenzie the other day - I always go overboard... I had no idea what to do with them when I got home, so I figured, chili! Hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...