{Product Review} Ceramcor Xtrema 10" Skillet!

I gave away/threw away all of my nonstick pans a few years ago.  Something about nonstick cookware just bothers me.  It's super chemical-laden and usually doesn't hold up without flaking and scratching.  I am way too rough on my pots and pans to worry about scratches and overheating and hand washing...  I've been using Calphalon stainless steel pots and pans since I ditched the nonstick.  I really am a fan of stainless - mostly because it's so durable.  However, I've recently come across several sources that are saying that the metal does leach into food from stainless cookware.  ARGH.  I know we can't avoid everything, but if there's a better option then why not try?

When Ceramcor requested that I review their skillet, I was really excited about getting to try their all-natural cookware.  I instantly checked their pricing and thought that it was more than I would probably ever spend on cookware, but the product was just so intriguing.  The website and other promo materials really talk a big game.  I am a major propaganda cynic, so I wasn't counting on the pan to work the miracles that it claims to work. 


The cookware is lighter than it looks.  It actually has a cast iron look and feel to it, but it weighs significantly less.  The surface is shiny and pretty (and still all 100% ceramic).  The entire skillet is one piece, so I'll never have to worry about the handle coming loose. 

Ok, so it looks good, but can it hold its own on the stove?  Oh my holy moly - yes!  I've never been so impressed by a kitchen item ever.  EVER!  The pan takes a few minutes to get really hot, but it holds the heat amazingly well once its heated.  I wouldn't say that the surface is "non-stick" but it certainly is stick-resistant.  I made a quick tomato cream sauce in it (jarred organic pasta sauce + a dash of cream and garlic) and was super surprised that nothing was scorched at the bottom.  I even tossed in some chicken and whole wheat pasta and then baked it for a short bit.  The food slid right out with no problem!

 
 
Somehow, the pan gets really hot, but it keeps foods from burning (it's not fail proof, but it really is a forgiving pan!).  The bits that didn't pour right out of the pan, came out with one swipe of a Scotch-Brite sponge - just like magic!  It literally goes from super dirty pan to super shiny pan in less than a minute. 

I also loved that I can use anything in it without worrying about scratches.  I used a metal whisk when I made my bacon scalloped potatoes, and it is still pristine.  The metal did leave little grey marks in the bottom, but a vinegar swish and rinse had it restored to its original state in less than a minute.  I overcooked some green beans one night, too, and vinegar pulled up every last bit of imperfection that the beans left.


Since nothing really sticks, all it takes is a quick water soak and a sponge/washcloth and some soap to get it cleaned up.  If you have an accident, and the surface is really messed up, you can even use Bar Keeper's Friend or an SOS pad to get it clean - Ceramcor promises that it won't scratch the surface!

I haven't tried it yet, but the pan can also go straight from the fridge to the oven without cracking.  This would be so useful for prepping dinner the night before and just sticking it in the oven the next night (or for leaving a ready-to-go meal in the fridge that the fam just needs to heat up on a night that you're not home for dinner!).

Ceramcor has a whole line of 100% natural ceramic coookware - skillets, soup pots, bakeware, etc.  I'm absolutely adding a smaller skillet and a wok to my Christmas list!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...