Scalloped Potatoes



Hello to everyone visiting from Pinterest!  I'm so happy that you've found my little corner of the Internet :) There's quite a bit here to explore, so please have a look around! Also, I'd love it if you'd join us over on Facebook:



As soon as I got my Xtrema skillet, I was inspired to recipe-ize a new stove-to-oven recipe.  I whipped up one of my very favorites:  Scalloped Potatoes!  I'm thinking that this one will make it onto my permanent Thanksgiving recipe list :)


Ingredients
  • 5 slices of uncured (nitrite/nitrate free) bacon, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 2 pounds potatoes (organic really matters here!)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons unrefined olive oil
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
  • 1 cup white wine (anything that's not sweet)
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup grated cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Directions

Slice the potatoes very thinly on a mandoline slicer.  Set aside.  I used a combination of Yukon Golds and Russets and thought the Russets ended up with a much nicer taste and texture!


Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet (LOVE my Xtrema for this!) until slightly crispy.  Remove the pieces of bacon and save for later.


Add the onions and sautee over medium heat in the bacon fat until soft and slightly browned.  Add the onions to the bacon pieces.


Add the butter and olive oil to the remaining bacon fat.  Whisk in the flour and cook (while still whisking) for about 30 seconds.


Whisk in the wine and then the milk.  Add the salt, white pepper, and ground mustard.  Cook for a few minutes, until slightly thickened.  The mixture may look a little curdled, but it'll come back together - don't worry!


Lower the heat to medium-low, and add the grated cheese slowly.  Stir in the reserved bacon and onions.

Add the potatoes into the sauce, being careful to separate each slice as it's added.


Poke the potatoes down into the sauce to make sure that they're all covered.


Put your pan directly in the oven (make sure you're using an oven save pan).  Bake at 375 for about 20 or 30 minutes, until sides are bubbly and the top is browned.


Let the pan cool for about 10 minutes before digging in!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...