Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows



Hello to everyone visiting from Pinterest!  I'm so happy that you've found my little corner of the Internet :) There's quite a bit here to explore, so please have a look around! Also, I'd love it if you would join us over on Facebook:


Who doesn't love marshmallows?!  That's rhetorical.  If you don't love marshmallows, we can't be friends anymore.  Just don't tell me.

We just got a firepit for the back porch, so marshmallows were a must.  I'm too cheap to spend the big bucks on the natural options (Plush Puffs are a-mazing!), and the high fructose corn syrup options were obviously a no-go.  There are several icky ingredients in Kraft's Jet-Puffed marshmallows:  Corn Syrup, Sugar, Dextrose, Modified Corn Starch, Water, Gelatin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Artificial Flavor, Artificial Color (Blue 1). Really, Kraft.  Really?  Why in the world would marshmallows need artificial food coloring??

I'd never made marshmallows before, but I was up to the challenge.  I think if the world knew how easy homemade marshmallows were, Kraft would quite possibly go out of business.  Husband just vehemently declared that he'll never eat a bagged marshmallow again.  As we polish off our 5th (6th?) giant mallow, I know I'm going to regret the indulgence later.  But, for now, yum.  just yum.

Ingredients
  • 2 envelopes plain gelatin (like Knox)
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 2 cups turbinado sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Directions

Pour half of the water into a bowl.  Stir in the gelatin.  Don't worry about lumps, it'll take care of itself.  Set aside.


After several minutes - looks like applesauce!

Combine the sugar and the rest of the water in a small sauce pan.  Stir over medium heat until the sugar is melted.  Add the gelatin and stir.

Bring the sugar-gelatin water to a boil.  It'll probably take 5-10 minutes to get it to boil.  You don't have to stir constantly, but don't leave the kitchen!  


Boil the mixture for 7 minutes.  Again, don't leave the kitchen!  Boiling sugar water will get foamy and boil over really quickly.  And, trust me, it's a nasty mess to clean...  If it starts boiling over, reduce the heat or pick it up off the burner for a few seconds.


Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and let it sit for about 20 minutes.  

Beat on high/medium-high for 15 minutes.  The mixture will go from a brown syrup to a white fluff.  Pretty!


If you're wanting squares, pour the mixture into a wax paper lined half-sized brownie pan (1.5 Qt pyrex pan) that has been dusted heavily with powdered sugar.


The hardest part of this recipe is keeping your
brood out of the fluff until it sets!

Smooth the top and let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours - longer is better if you can wait!


Remove the marshmallows from the pan and peel the wax paper back.  Kitchen scissors made cutting the squares really easy (but still pretty messy).  


Roll each piece in powdered sugar and knock off any excess.  


Extra tip:  Rig an old spice bottle with cheesecloth
to make an easy powdered sugar shaker!

You can store the marshmallows in an airtight container for up to a week (but they absolutely, positively will not remain uneaten that long!).


As an alternative to traditional squares, you can let the marshmallow fluff sit in the mixing bowl for 20 or so minutes after you're done beating it and then dollop it onto a lined, sugar-dusted cookie sheet.  Top with sprinkles or extra turbanido sugar for added glitz and texture!



I put a couple of big marshmallows on a plate under the broiler for a few minutes and then topped it with chocolate chips.  I scooped it on arrowroot cookies (similar to graham crackers) - oh holy moly!  Best. S'mores. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.




9 comments:

  1. I have a question. You have gelatin listed as an "icky" ingredient in Kraft's marshmallows, but then use it in yours. Is there a difference in the two kinds? Should I be looking for the Knox brand in particular for a certain reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the gelatin is 100% gelatin, it's an ok ingredient. I just listed all of the Kraft ingredients as they're found in the packaging. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Do you know what gelatin is? It is icky. Doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to the artificial additives in most Americans' diets, I feel like an all-natural animal product is far from icky. For those who choose vegetarian/vegan diets, it's obviously not a good choice, but as for me and my family, we're ok with it. I'd much rather use an organic gelatin, but considering the relatively small amount that goes into the recipe (about 1 tablespoon), for me at least, it's an ok indulgence.

      Delete
  3. I made a batch substituting almond for the peppermint, another using anise extract. So easy and delicious. May become my new go-to recipe for cooperative dessert parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm missing something...what is the difference between the sugar you used and regular granulated sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I just failed miserably at my first marshmallow attempt, the mixture didn't turn white and fluffy at all, just brown and gloopy. I couldn't find turbinado sugar anywhere so used crunchy demerara instead. Is this where I went wrong? Is there an alternative sugar I could use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. what is turbinado sugar? Not sure I can get it here in Spain.
    Would regular sugar do?
    These look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed a candy thermometer in the picture but you didn't mention what temp you cooked it to

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...